Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Eagle Scout (Part 1 of 12)


I think my Dad's favorite callings in the Church were those that had to deal with the young men or the scouts. He enjoyed those thoroughly. Before I was old enough to be a scout, Dad was scoutmaster two times and explorer scout leader one time. He did such interesting things and I wished I could go with him on those activities.
Once he organized his scout troop into a pop bottle orchestra. Each boy had a quart size Mac’s Root Beer bottle filled with just the right amount of water to sound a certain note. When it was his turn, each boy would blow across the top of the bottle making it whistle. They played a whole song this way and even won a talent contest with this idea.
Dad attended every scout leader training that was available to him. In one such training he learned how to make plaster impressions of animal tracks in the dirt. He brought home one such plaster mold of a deer track to show us children and we were all amazed. He displayed for many years a canoe paddle from a river trip he went on with the explorers and I looked forward to the time when I could do that.
When I became a cub scout I went with Dad every month to the boy scout court of honor and watched the boy scouts get their awards. I wanted to get as many awards as possible in cub scouts and I would stay up late at night and work on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment