Wednesday, October 13, 2010

“I Want Some Of That Pot Roast!” (Part 6 of 6)



The next year our summer camp was at Mill Hollow which is owned by the Granite School District. Our troop advancement committee chairman was Jack Marzo. He was a science teacher at Churchill Junior High and he got permission to go up there. It seemed we played endless games of kick the can and we tried making breakfast on a sheet of aluminum foil in the fire. What really happened was the foil tipped and all our food got burned up in the fire!
I was heavily into electronics at that time. I wanted to see if I had enough expertise to build a radio in the wilds. I had a large nail which I used as a soldering iron. I heated it up in the fire, applied solder and built a crystal set radio. I even had a long antenna stretched from my tent to way up in a tall tree. When I was finished, I tried it out. It didn’t work. There probably weren’t any strong radio signals to pick up, anyway. But I had built a radio.
When it was time to go home my Dad and my little brother Christopher came up and helped take everybody and their equipment home. Before we left, I showed Christopher around the camp. I was thrilled that I got to show him and I hoped that he would look forward to scout camp as I had.

Coming tomorrow: “I Want Some Of That Pot Roast!” A bonus section

No comments:

Post a Comment