I progressed quickly through scouting. It wasn't long before I could quote to a person every single requirement to become an Eagle Scout. The biggest obstacle to me was the time a boy needed to wait between each award. If not for that, I would have been an Eagle in just a few months. I had started out a member of troop 685 in the Great Salt Lake Council. We were part of the South Cottonwood Eleventh Ward at the time. However, the ward was divided and the boundaries were re-drawn. We then became part of the South Cottonwood Thirteenth Ward. Dad was assigned to register the new ward's scout troop. He came to our scout meeting one afternoon and let us know our new troop number would be 742.
My next step would be to get my first merit badge. This was computers, which I passed off from my Dad. In those days you could get any merit badge from your parents. Later there were restrictions on getting most of them from your own parents. My second one was the printing merit badge which David Datwyler and I got from a professional printer, who also happened to be my Grandpa Loveless. David and I each printed something. I printed a card which had my train poem that I had written in school.
David and I also got another merit badge after that which was book binding. We got that from Sister Banks who lived across the street from the Church building. We learned how to professionally bind the hymn books and keep them in good order.
No comments:
Post a Comment