Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fat Man’s Misery (Part 8 of 8)


Fat Man’s Misery (Part 8 of 8)
We all got on the back, on top of our camping gear. There were fourteen boys on the back of that truck. And we had a long way to go on the dirt roads. We traveled for miles and we even passed over the boarder into the State of Arizona and back into Utah. We all thought we were sun burned before, but the sun really got us on this last leg of the journey. We finally pulled into Santa Clara. We took turns showering at Earl’s parents’ house and then his mother fixed us a great feast, which included lots and lots of homemade rolls and lots of punch. And all the cold, clear water we could drink!
In all the years since that memorable hike, I have often reflected on it. True to Earl’s prediction, I have looked back with fondness. And though it was a temporary cause of discomfort, I do remember it best.
“Yessssireeee! This isssss the life!”

Coming Tomorrow: “I Want Some Of That Pot Roast!”

No comments:

Post a Comment